Tuesday, December 20, 2011

gift guide | max wastler


     MAX WASTLER
         CHICAGO, IL // BLOGGER AT ALL PLAIDOUT AND CO-OWNER OF BUCKSHOT SONNY'S SPORTING GOODS
         BUYING // NEW THINGS FOR MY LITTLE BROTHER, WHO STILL CLAIMS 80% OF HIS CLOTHES ARE
                         HAND-ME-DOWNS FROM HIS BIG BROTHER AND HIS DAD

{ one } Alden Shell Cordovan Tassel Moccasin ($634)
"Yes, they are worth it. Yes, you'll wear them all the time. Yes, trust me, not only are 
they're nice
now but they get infinitely better with age." Ben takes some convincing when it comes to footwear,
particularly $600 footwear. But I say this: look at your dad's shoes, if not your grandfather's.
What did they wear every day? If it worked for them, it will likely work for you.  Alden makes the
original (and still the best) tassel moc with horsehide leather from Chicago's own Horweenwhose
leather is considered some of the finest in the world and tanned right here in my backyard. 
---
{ two } Brooks Brothers Extra-Slim Fit Oxford ($79.50)
I'm a shirt guy. I know everything there is to know about shirts. At least, I thought I did.

This Thanksgiving, my brother showed me how his extra-slim fit oxford cloth button 
down fits just as well as the fancy custom shirt I gave him for Christmas last year.
---
{ three } Buckshot Sonny's Buckwheat Griddle Cakes ($10)
Ben was the pancake fan in our family. He's always loved them. When he was a chubby

little kid, his favorite thing to order was a big stack of silver dollar pancakes. I've never
liked pancakes. That is, until my friend Matt sent me one of his parents' Great
American Pancake Company mixes. The buckwheat griddle cakes they made for
Buckshot Sonny's are a great tasting, perfectly balanced pancake.
---
{ four } Solmate Socks ($20)
Ben has a few trademarks. One of them is crazy socks. Our mom sells these in the 
little gift  shop
where she works and he and I love to go in and pick out our favorite pairs.  These suckers are
great. Thick cotton, made in Vermont, and a nice little pop of nutty in an otherwise staid closet.
---
{ five } K. Hall Designs Milk Milled Shea Soap ($12)
Our father swears by his Dove bar. He even travels with a thumb-sized version. On a recent

trip, I took his advice that "You can never have too much Dove," and asked him for a few of his
travel-sized bars. I used them. And he was right: they beat the heck out of the cheap, plasticky
Hampton Inn soap every time. On another trip, I discovered my very own Dove alternative.
Now, if only they could make a travel size for our dad.
---
{ six } Uniqlo Cashmere Sweater ($99.90)
Last Thanksgiving, while giving hugs at our neighbors' house, all the women made 
note
of my soft sweater. I love my Uniqlo cashmere sweater. The quality and fit cannot be beat.
My mother took note of the gushing neighbor ladies, called the shop in New York, and
ordered two mediums. Lucky guys that we are, Ben and I will have a little something soft
waiting for us under the tannenbaum come Christmas Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment